Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 29: A song from your childhood

Today's song is "2 Become 1" by the Spice Girls. The Spice Girls will always hold a special place in my heart because Spice World was the first CD I ever got. I took a lot of shit for that because, ya know, guys aren't allowed to like female singers. I've expressed my resentment of this social attitude in other blogs, however, so I won't touch on that.

Does anyone remember the movie Spice World? Great fucking movie. Trashy as all fuck, but really great. The aliens? The bomb in the bus? Epic. Just epic!!!

The reason I chose this song as opposed to another Spice Girls song is because it's really, really freakin' dirty. I listened to this song as a child and not only that but I'd sing along. "Come a little closer baby, get it on, get it on..." Great song for a 7 year old to be singing, right? Of course, I didn't know what the words meant. It's funny how so many songs from my childhood are like this... You listen to them years later and are blown away by what they're actually saying now that you understand it. This also happened to me with the movie Clueless. So many sex jokes and yet I was oblivious...

Anyone else have this happen? What song did you not realize what it REALLY meant when you were younger?

1 comment:

  1. You know that song "Every Morning" by Sugar Ray? Yeah, when I was younger, I just thought it was a cool song. Now...I understand the sexual connotations. Kinda ruins it.

    ReplyDelete