It was really hard for me to decide on a song to do for this one. I listen to a lot of music and picking just one song as my favorite of all time? Shit. A couple came to mind. Among them: "Simple Kind of Life," "Sunday Morning," and "Rock Steady" by No Doubt, "A Man/Me/Then Jim" by Rilo Kiley, "Emergency" by Paramore, and a few others... but one song stood out and that song is "Hustle Rose" by Metric.
The first time I heard this song I wasn't blown away. It was like a few other songs where I've been like, "Whoa, this song rules!!" But for some reason I kept listening. From the beginning, from the very first line, this song rules; "Behold the fishnet slut tonight..." Behold indeed. After repeating "Now that your wallet is all lit up" over minimalist synths for around 30 seconds, the real beauty of the song starts: Emily's soft, haunting voice over piano turning... and then bursting into a musical experience like something you'll never know. I can't even come up with the words to describe it. Probably the most spectacular part, however, is the breakdown that closes out the song. Turn it up loud, close your eyes, and shut out the rest of the world and your mind will be blown in such a way that you'll never be able to recover... not that you'd want to.
This song also has a lot of personal meaning to me. Back in high school while I was going through all my depression and eating disorder shit, I'd listen to this song a lot. It honestly is one of the reasons I'm still alive today. I'd just sit there in awe and think... How can something this beautiful exist and the whole world be bad? There is good out there, you just need to search for it.
Also, for those who don't know, the tattoo on my back is from this song.
No comments:
Post a Comment