Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 27: A song that you wish you could play

Can I just say ANY song for today's blog? I mean, I can't play any instruments... No? Fuck, I need to come up with a specific song then.

Okay, well... One of the things I value in a musician is talent. This seems to be a foreign concept these days but I think singing, being able to play an instrument or two well, writing your own songs, etc. are crucial duties of someone who is a musician in the same way that a doctor needs to be able to recognize symptoms of diseases, prescribe medicines, etc. (except obviously doctors need to know a *little* more than musicians haha). It seems that very few pop stars these actually hold up to that standard... which is sad because I don't think that's that high of a standard. The one shining, glimmering, leather studded hope happens to be the lovely Lady Gaga. I know, a lot of people think she's just some weirdo space alien singer with no talent (I myself used to be a hater until I woke up) but really, she isn't at all. Take for, example, her song "Speechless."

"Speechless" isn't at all like what people think of when they think of usual Lady Gaga music. The woman shows off her voice and trust me, SHE HAS A VOICE. It's so powerful and she definitely lives up to all the hype she's getting. I also recommend looking up some of her acoustic stuff too. It's... incredible.

Beyond her amazing voice, Gaga is also fucking smart, too. She realizes that even though she's an amazing singer, that's not what sells so she makes music that's more poppy but still has a chance to show off her real music on the occasional track or at live shows. And she knows how to sell herself too while still being true to herself. Gaga is a fucking genius. There's no other way to describe her. If you don't like her, or at least acknowledge that the woman is talented as all fuck, there's something wrong with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment