Sunday, July 4, 2010

Best of 2010... so far

As I'm writing this, I'm listening to fireworks go off for July 4th. This means the year is a little over halfway over so I think it's time to reflect back on some of the musical gems that have come out so far this year. I usually do a top 10 around December (and by usually I mean I did one for 2009 and plan on continuing the tradition) so for the halfway point, I'm going to pick five of my favorites. Check back in December to see if they're still here or if they get outshined!

"Heart of my Own" by Basia Bulat

I hadn't heard of Canadian singer Basia Bulat until I started listening to the CBC Radio 3 Breakfast Club podcast in January. One of the first podcasts I listened to (actually, I think THE first) was one with Basia talking about her new album. I thoroughly enjoyed her music so I downloaded it and was very pleasantly surprised how good the whole thing was. She has a sort of quiver to her voice but it's not annoying or bad or anything; it actually makes her more distinct. Her music has a very simple, rustic folksy sort of feel to it which is enhanced by a lot of the gold rush imagery she uses. My favorite track is probably the title track or "If Only You." Go have a listen!

"Die Stadt Muzikanten" by Woodpigeon

Another Canadian artist (surprise, surprise knowing me!) that I discovered via CBC Radio 3. I generally prefer female vocals but Woodpigeon definitely qualifies as an exception to that rule. Their lead singer's voice is very pleasant sounding and pure. I strongly recommend "Woodpigeon vs. Eagleowl (Strength in Numbers)." That was the song that originally got me to give them a listen. It was one of those songs that I heard on the radio and I was instantly like, "WHO IS THIS?!" and is probably one of my favorite songs of the year.

"Rat a Tat Tat" by Jason Collett

Jason Collett is another recent discovery of mine and I'm already obsessed with him. He has a very raw feel to his music and I love it. My favorite songs are "Love is a Chain," which makes use of one of my favorite instruments, the trumpet (Once a ska kid, always a ska kid!), and "Northern Light Letdown." His lyrics are absolutely amazing and he seems like a really cool dude which only adds to his appeal.

"Forgiveness Rock Record" by Broken Social Scene

I have been waiting for the album for SOOOOOO long. Broken Social Scene is a Canadian indie clusterfuck of sorts that features musicians such as Jason Collett, Feist, Amy Milan, and of course, the goddess herself, Emily Haines. They've always had an eclectic experiment sound that kind of plays around with music in ways that most bands wouldn't dare to try and this album is no exception. However, it has more of a rock feel to it. My favorite song, without question, is "Sentimental X's" which features Emily Haines, Feist, and Amy Milian on vocals... PURE FREAKIN' BLISS. I can't describe how beautiful that song is. Other favs include "All to All" and "Texico Bitches."

"All Shapes and Disguises" by Tonight Alive

The only non-Canadian to make it on this list, Tonight Alive is an Australian band I recently discovered. They have a female front so they're getting a lot of comparisons to Paramore but I don't think they sound that much alike. TA has their own sound, as does Paramore, and just because they both have female singers doesn't mean they're the same. Anywho, this album will rock your panties off and then some. Currently I'm addicted to "To Die For," the first track, but I also really enjoy their cover of Rufio's "In My Eyes." This is probably my favorite album over all so far so if you download any of these, make it this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment