Monday, January 11, 2010

Let's play pretend

For some reason, all day I've been feeling really nostalgic. I can't shake the feeling that I fell asleep and now am in a completely different life.

What happened? When did I grow up? When did I become so old? When did I turn into an adult? When did things change? When did I start loathing trips to Illinois, car rides through Wisconsin, and trips to the WI Dells? When did I stop having a bedtime or a curfew?

I miss the summer trips to my grandparents' house in Illinois. We'd stop at the McDonalds or Culvers in Mauston because it was halfway there, sometimes my grandparents would meet my parents there so they'd each only have to go halfway. I'd spend my time there helping my grandma sew, cooking, catching lightning bugs, swimming, going to the toy store, coloring with chalk...

So many of the things I used to look forward to as a child I now dread. What inside me changed? I wish I had appreciated them at the time because who knows when things will change again?

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day, me and my friends would take lightening bugs and squish them all over our faces so they would glow. Kind of gross, I know. But it was fun then.

    I often think, "when did we become the big kids?" because in high school I would look at the college kids and think they were sooo old. Now we are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know EXACTLY how you feel! I used to do the same thing!!!

    ReplyDelete