Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Best of 2010

Last year, for the first time, I made my list of the top 10 albums of the year and it was a really great way for me to reflect on all the great music that came out that year. I decided that this year I'm going to try something different and see which I like better... Instead of doing a list of albums, I'm going to pick a best album, best song, best live act, best new artist, and best flashback album (an album that came out a previous year but I didn't discover until this year). I figure this way I get to mix things up a bit and talk about a variety of different works that deserve credit for their awesomeness. I'm also going to include a short section on what I look forward to most in 2011. So, without further adieu, here's my picks for the best of 2010!

Album of the Year
This year had a lot of strong releases from some of my old favorites including Broken Social Scene, Stars, and Motion City Soundtrack as well some newly discovered artists like Basia Bulat and Woodpigeon. My pick for album of the year is (surprisingly) not from any of these artists, however. It's from an artist that I've listened to in the past and enjoyed but was blown away by the work they put out this year, Land of Talk.

Their release, Cloak and Cipher, is haunting and beautiful and a rocking good time all packaged into one album. Lizzie's distinct vocals are what really carry the album. Her voice is soft but doesn't get too breathy or weak like some female singers' voices can. Also, it's what her voice actually sounds like; I saw them live in September and there's no editing needed to create her unique sound (unlike many artists these days, it seems). If you're going to download just one song, make it Quarry Hymns. It's a truly beautiful song.

Song of the Year
This one gave me more trouble than picking album of the year. I toyed back and forth with a bunch of ideas. For a while I was going to choose "Sentimental X's" by BSS or "Changes" by Stars. "To Die For" by Tonight Alive was a strong contender and, more recently, "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)" by Arcade Fire was almost going to be chosen. While these songs are great and I strongly recommend all of them, there was one song that blew them all away...

"Black Sheep" by Metric. Yes, this song has existed in some form or another or other for a while but it was this year that the final studio version was released on the soundtrack for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and let me just say, this song is SICK. It starts out with a lot of sexy, "Awww, yeahs!" and brings on the rock. The real great thing about this song is the guitar solo during the outro. I've always known that Jimmy Shaw was a great guitarist but this solidified his status as a guitar god. Seriously, give it a listen. If you're not mindfucked there's something wrong.

Best Live Act
I go to a lot of shows and 2010 was no exception. This year, I got to see Motion City Soundtrack (twice!), Meg & Dia, Metric, Broken Social Scene, Stars, Land of Talk, and many more artists that I love. They were all fantastic show but none of them compared to the two hour dance-mindfuck-empowerment-sing-along fest that was the Monster Ball put on by Lady Gaga.
This lady proved she's not just another pop star and truly put on a SHOW. As mentioned before, it was almost two hours long. Usually, having a short attention span and all, I'd get bored but Gaga kept it coming and even as she closed with "Bad Romance" I was left wanting more and even considering going to see her again the next night (which didn't happen for monetary reasons). Tickets to see her are expensive but she makes it worth every penny and then some with lights and dancers and a fountain of blood. Probably my favorite moment of the concert was when she was doing Speechless on the flaming piano. How cool is that?!


Best New Artist
I've said this for every category but again, this one was a toughie. There were a lot of great new artists this year but probably my favorite was Tonight Alive.

They're a really awesome band from Australia and have a nice, clean alternative rock sound. They get compared to compared to Paramore a lot and I guess I see the comparison to some extent but Jenna doesn't have the same snarl that Hayley does and I honestly think that the comparison is just made because both bands have female fronts (an unfair comparison if you ask me; just because two bands have female fronts does NOT mean they sound the same). They released their first album, All Shapes and Disguises, in June and it features a cover of "In My Eyes" by Rufio that I actually prefer to the original (which is not a common occurrence for me- I generally don't like covers). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this band has in store for us in the future!


Blast From the Past Album
I don't know how I didn't hear about this band earlier but early in 2010 I discovered the Rural Alberta Advantage and their 2008 release, Hometimes. This album is fantastic and one of the rare albums that I actually like all the songs on it. If you want a sample of it, download "Drain the Blood" or "Edmonton."

2011 Excitement
I'm not even gonna lie: 2011 is going to be a great musical year. No Doubt will (more than likely) be coming out with a new album and I have been waiting for this album FOREVER. In addition, the Sounds are apparently done with their new album that should be released sometime this year and the Ting Tings are releasing a new album as well. Metric is headed back to the studio so maybe we'll be getting a new album from them as well. Lady Gaga's new album is due out beginning of the year and I've heard rumors that she'll be releasing her new single soon. Of course, there will also be a ton of other releases that I haven't heard about yet... 2011 should be an exciting year in music!

1 comment:

  1. Nice picks. I'm also SUPER excited for No Doubt's new album. Oh, and The Sounds new album as well.

    ReplyDelete